Friday 10 October 2008

The Weekend Approaches

It took quite a long time, but my blog is now working properly again. No more annoying message telling me that it is suspected that I am running a spammer blog.

It's quite late and I don't have a great many things to ramble on about so I'll keep this entry fairly brief, and about nothing in particular my weekend plans.

I'm going to have to start writing a report tomorrow concerning the work I did during the summer. The work basically consisted of investigating the properties of Lithium-drifted Silicon semiconductor devices and trying to work out just how radiation hard they can be. The hope is that there are devices that are sufficiently radiation-hard so they can be used at the sLHC. For anyone unaware of what the sLHC is, it is an upgrade for the Large Hadron Collider at CERN - located near Geneva. Yes - that LHC: the one that was started up, and after 10 days leaked helium before any experimentation even began.

On top of that I'll need to do a fair bit of studying. I even need to do a bit of reading up on electromagnetism - it's been that long since I've done it that the problems relating to it that I'm attempting to tackle successfully are not as clear as they should be. Also need to get a proper grip on the maths needed in order to really appreciate General Relativity & Gravitation.

Finally, I'll need to make sure I'm completely happy with the questions that the first years will be tackling at the tutorial on Monday. I had a skim over them earlier tonight and they seemed to be straight forward enough, but I don't want to be caught out by not being prepared for questions relating to them. Don't really want to look like the idiot who can't tutor people on the first year courses that I've done and passed three ages ago.

If I'm really lucky I'll try to fit in some time to write some music or simply sit and watch a DVD, considering I have 10 new DVDs to watch now. Tomorrow or sometime soon I may take a bit of time to discuss the upcoming US Presidental election. I may not be American, but this is a big deal for the whole world, and unfortunately a very large percentage of the US population are idiots. Fortunately, it doesn't look like the idiots will be taking over for another 4 years, but there are still three weeks or so to go, and things could certainly change for the worst in that time period.

Until then, peace.
xxxx

No comments: